|Guillaume Litaudon 82d8290c9d|
Latte is a modification of Google's Carlito fonts. I just wanted a modern version with some single-story g, so I fired up FontForge and here we are.
- The stylistic alternate g is now the default one on bold and regular weights.
- A new stylistic alternate y with a curved descender.
- Combining diacritics, with associated ligatures, so A + gravecomb → À (Agrave).
- Addition of the irony point and the interrobang because every great typeface deserves such misunderstood punctuations. The irony point is located at U+2E2E, the interrobang is at U+203D (its inverted counterpart at U+2E18, and single-character versions at U+2048 and U+2049).
- Addition of the basis point, at U+2031, in order to be hated by the BIPM.
- Addition of the Copyleft symbol at code point U+1F12F as accepted by the Unicode Technical Committe.
- Addition of the Bitcoin sign at code point U+20BF.
- Addition of the Linux logo at U+F000.
See the FONTLOG for a much complete changelog.
|0.10||General clean-up, some additions in the General Punctuation block and in the Letterlike Symbols block|
|0.9||Small caps, Bitcoin sign, Object Replacement Character, Replacement Character, Linux logo|
|0.8||Complete Combining Diacritical Marks Extended, Combining Diacritical Marks Supplement and Combining Half Marks, partial support of the Combining Diacritical Marks for Symbols block|
|0.7||Complete IPA with Modifier Tone Letters and Superscripts and Subscripts|
|0.6||Complete Cyrillic, Cyrillic Supplement, Cyrillic Extended A and B|
|0.5||Complete Greek and Greek Extended|
|0.4||Complete Combining Diacritical Marks|
|0.3||Clean-up, irony point, interrobang, basis point, copyleft, alternate y (beta)|
A word about hinting and kerning
There is no hinting on the OpenType fonts. The TrueType fonts, however, are autohinted using ttfautohint.
I kept the original kerning of Carlito, added some Fontforge's auto-kerning and manually tweaked it.
Carlito is based on Lato fonts by Łukasz Dziedzic.
There are few modifications from Lato:
- Matches Microsoft's Calibri metrics.
- Some ligatures: fi, ffi, fj, ffj, fì, ffì.
- Additionnal and slighty different alternates: €, $, £, etc.
- Less weights: Regular & Bold, when Lato has also Heavy, Black, Medium, Semibold, Light, Thin and Hairline.
- Less glyphs: 2000+ glyphs vs 3000+ glyphs for Lato.
Download at Google APIs Common Data Storage.
Why this name ?
I don't know where the name Carlito come from, but I think it is from the genus of the Philippine tarsier in order to match the Colibri/Calibri theme.
Nevertheless, Carlito is based on Lato, which means summer in Polish. Łukasz Dziedzic chose this name because "the semi-rounded details of the letters give Lato a feeling of warmth, while the strong structure provides stability and seriousness. Male and female, serious but friendly. With the feeling of the Summer." (Source)
So I wanted a name which reminds the "serious but friendly" part. A latte is both serious and friendly, and the reminder of the original Lato name is pretty obvious. Bonus: it comes after Lato alphabetically.
Copyright © 2016 by Guillaume Litaudon with Reserved Font Name "Latte".
This Font Software is licensed under the SIL Open Font License, Version 1.1.
Latte is a variation of Carlito. Carlito is Copyright © 2010-2013 by tyPoland Lukasz Dziedzic with Reserved Font Name "Carlito".