MemoJutsu (working title) is a system for studying and teaching concepts related to any imaginable topic.
- It is free software, giving you full control over everything,
- comfortable to use from a PC, smartphone or tablet,
- offers textbook-quality lecture material, organized into stand-alone descriptions of concepts,
- keeps track of your progress as you read through it,
- ensures permanent learning by systematically reminding you of the material through supplemental flash cards.
I want to be able to read well-structured learning material on subjects I'm interested in. Comfortably, at my own pace, no matter where I am. Designed by teachers who know what they are doing. And keep it in my brain permanently, without writing notes or creating flashcards.
When I read Wikipedia articles, papers or university material, I often end up forgetting the concepts eventually. To compensate, I started using flashcard programs with spaced repetition systems. But when I make the flashcards myself, I spend too much time on researching, writing and designing. When I use premade flashcards, I lack the context to understand them thoroughly. MemoJutsu could provide a system that eliminates all of these disadvantages, giving you a smooth and motivating learning experience.
- Pick a topic you are interested in
- Read through the text
- Review the relevant concepts with flash cards
- Optionally, add the flash cards to your deck for later review
- Unlock new topics with your newly gained knowledge
- Topic Selection (sequential list or "skill tree")
- Topic Reader
- Flashcard Reviewer
- Content Editor for teachers
- A server that centrally stores user information and the knowledge base and also serves the HTML/JS. It can be run by the user to avoid privacy issues.
- The knowledge base is organized into topics.
- Each topic is a stand-alone hypertext document that explains a certain concept.
- Topics can have other topics as prerequisites, in order to build up a body of knowledge
- Flashcards supplement the learning material
- After reading a topic, the user can decide to add the relevant flashcards to the flashcard deck.
- The user is asked to review the flashcards regularly, using a spaced repetition system for optimal memory performance.
How to run the prototype?
- Download the repository
- open prototype/index.html in your browser