You can not select more than 25 topics
Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
- Implement reverse auto-wrap (auto_left_margin, bw, in
terminfo). This mode can be enabled/disabled with
CSI ? 45 h and
CSI ? 45 l. It is enabled by default
- bell option to
foot.ini. Can be set to
set-urgency to make
foot render the margins in red when receiving
BEL while not
having keyboard focus. Applications can dynamically enable/disable
this with the
CSI ? 1042 h and
CSI ? 1042 l escape
sequences. Note that Wayland does not implement an urgency
hint like X11, but that there is a
to add support for this. The value
set-urgency was chosen for
forward-compatibility, in the hopes that this proposal eventualizes
- word-delimiters option to
- csd.preferred can now be set to
none to disable window
decorations. Note that some compositors will render SSDs despite
this option being used (dnkl/foot#163).
- Terminal content is now auto-scrolled when moving the mouse above or
below the window while selecting
- Regression: middle clicking double pastes in e.g. vim
- Default value of the scrollback.multiplier option in
insert now pastes from the primary selection by
default. This is in addition to middle-clicking with the mouse.
- Mouse bindings now match even if the actual click count is larger
than specified in the binding. This allows you to, for example,
quickly press the middle-button to paste multiple times
- Color flashes when changing the color palette with OSC 4,10,11
- Scrollback position is now retained when resizing the window
- Trackpad scrolling speed to better match the mouse scrolling speed,
and to be consistent with other (Wayland) terminal emulators. Note
that it is (much) slower compared to previous foot versions. Use the
scrollback.multiplier option in
foot.ini if you find the new
speed too slow (dnkl/foot#144).
- Crash when
foot.ini contains an invalid section name
- Background opacity when in reverse video mode.
- Crash when writing a sixel image that extends outside the terminal’s
right margin (dnkl/foot#151).
- Sixel image at non-zero column positions getting sheared at
seemingly random occasions
- Crash after either resizing a window or changing the font size if
there were sixels present in the scrollback while doing so.
- Send Device Attributes to only send a response if
Ps == 0.
- Paste from primary when clipboard is empty.
- scrollback option in
foot.ini. Use scrollback.lines
- scrollback-up key binding. Use scrollback-up-page instead.
- scrollback-down key binding. Use scrollback-down-page
- Scrollback position indicator. This feature is optional and
controlled by the scrollback.indicator-position and
scrollback.indicator-format options in
- Key bindings in scrollback search mode are now configurable.
--check-config command line option.
- pipe-selected key binding. Works like pipe-visible and
pipe-scrollback, but only pipes the currently selected text, if
- mouse.hide-when-typing option to
- scrollback.multiplier option to
- colors.selection-foreground and colors.selection-background
- tweak.render-timer option to
- Modifier support in mouse bindings
- Click count support in mouse bindings, i.e double- and triple-click
- All mouse actions (begin selection, select word, select row etc) are
now configurable, via the new select-begin,
select-begin-block, select-extend, select-word,
select-word-whitespace and select-row options in the
mouse-bindings section in
- Implement XTSAVE/XTRESTORE escape sequences,
CSI ? Ps s and
CSI ? Ps r (dnkl/foot#91).
$COLORTERM is now set to
truecolor at startup, to indicate
support for 24-bit RGB colors.
- Experimental support for rendering double-width glyphs with a
character width of 1. Must be explicitly enabled with
- initial-window-size-pixels options to
-w,--window-size-pixels command line option to
foot. This option
replaces the now deprecated geometry and
- initial-window-size-chars option to
-W,--window-size-chars command line option to
foot. This option
configures the initial window size in characters, and is an
alternative to initial-window-size-pixels.
- scrollback-up-half-page and scrollback-down-half-page key
bindings. They scroll up/down half of a page in the scrollback
- scrollback-up-line and scrollback-down-line key
bindings. They scroll up/down a single line in the scrollback.
- mouse.alternate-scroll-mode option to
foot.ini. This option
controls the initial state of the Alternate Scroll Mode, and
yes. When enabled, mouse scroll events are translated
to up/down key events in the alternate screen, letting you scroll in
less and other applications without enabling native mouse
support in them (dnkl/foot#135).
- Renamed man page for
foot.ini from foot(5) to foot.ini(5).
- Configuration errors are no longer fatal; foot will start and print
an error inside the terminal (and of course still log errors on
--server socket path to use
$WAYLAND_DISPLAY instead of
- Trailing empty cells are no longer highlighted in mouse selections.
- Foot now searches for its configuration in
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/foot/foot.ini, if no configuration is found in
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/foot/foot.ini or in
- Minimum window size changed from four rows and 20 columns, to 1 row
and 2 columns.
- scrollback-up/down renamed to scrollback-up/down-page.
- fcft >= 2.3.0 is now required.
- Command lines for pipe-visible and pipe-scrollback are now
tokenized (i.e. syntax checked) when the configuration is loaded,
instead of every time the key binding is executed.
- Incorrect multi-column character spacer insertion when reflowing
- Compilation errors in 32-bit builds.
- Mouse cursor style in top and left margins.
- Selection is now updated when the cursor moves outside the grid
- Viewport sometimes not moving when doing a scrollback search.
- Crash when canceling a scrollback search and the window had been
resized while searching.
- Selection start point not moving when the selection changes
- OSC 10/11/104/110/111 (modify colors) did not update existing screen
- Extra newlines when copying empty cells
- Mouse events from being sent to client application when a mouse
binding has consumed it.
- Input events from getting mixed with paste data
- Missing DPI values for “some” monitors on Gnome
- Handling of multi-column composed characters while reflowing.
- Escape sequences sent for key combinations with
Return, that did
- Clipboard (or primary selection) is now cleared when receiving an
OSC-52 command with an invalid base64 encoded payload.
- Cursor position being set outside the grid when reflowing text.
- CSD buttons to be hidden when window size becomes so small that they
no longer fit.
- Mouse cursor is now always a
left_ptr when inside the margins, to
indicate it is not possible to start a selection.
- Crash when starting a selection inside the margins.
- Improved font size consistency across multiple monitors with
different DPI (dnkl/foot#47).
- Handle trailing comments in
- Section to README.md describing how to programmatically
- LICENSE, README.md and
CHANGELOG.md are now installed to
- Support for escaping quotes in pipe-visible and
- Primary DA to no longer indicate support for Selective Erase,
Technical Characters and Terminal State Interrogation.
- Secondary DA to report foot as a VT220 instead of a VT420.
- Secondary DA to report foot’s version number in parameter 2, the
Firmware Version. The string is made up of foot’s major, minor and
patch version numbers, always using two digits for each version
number and without any other separating characters. Thus, 1.4.2
would be reported as
010402 (i.e. the full response would be
- Scrollback search to only move the viewport if the match lies
- Scrollback search to focus match, that requires a viewport change,
roughly in the center of the screen.
- Extending a selection with the right mouse button now works while
dragging the mouse.
- Crash in scrollback search.
- Crash when a pipe-visible or pipe-scrollback command
contained an unclosed quote
- Maximum window title length from 100 to 2048.
- Crash when overwriting a sixel and the row being overwritten did not
cover an entire cell.
- Assertion failure in debug builds when overwriting a sixel image.
- Compilation errors in release builds with some combinations of
compilers and compiler flags.
Sync to terminfo. This is a tmux extension that indicates
“Synchronized Updates” are supported.
--hold command line option to
- Key mapping for
- Terminfo entries for keypad keys:
- blink option to
footrc; a boolean that lets you control
whether the cursor should blink or not by default. Note that
applications can override this.
- Multi-seat support
C0::FF (form feed)
- pipe-visible and pipe-scrollback key bindings. These let you
pipe either the currently visible text, or the entire scrollback to
external tools (dnkl/foot#29). Example:
pipe-visible=[sh -c "xurls | bemenu | xargs -r firefox] Control+Print
- Background transparency to only be used with the default background
- Copy-to-clipboard/primary-selection to insert a line break if either
the last cell on the previous line or the first cell on the next
line is empty.
- Number of lines to scroll is now always clamped to the number of
lines in the scrolling region..
- New terminal windows spawned with
n are no longer
- Unicode combining character overflow errors are only logged when
debug logging has been enabled.
- OSC 4 (Set Color) now updates already rendered cells, excluding
- Mouse cursor from
left_ptr when client is capturing the
- Sixel images are now removed when the font size is decreased.
DECSCUSR (Set Cursor Style,
CSI Ps SP q) now uses
Ps=2 to reset the style to the user configured default
Ps=2 now always configures a Steady Block cursor.
Se terminfo capability from
\E[2 q to
- Hollow cursor to be drawn when window has lost keyboard focus
rather than visual focus.
- Do not stop an ongoing selection when
shift is released. When the
client application is capturing the mouse, one must hold down
shift to start a selection. This selection is now finalized only
when the mouse button is released - not as soon as
- Selected cells did not appear selected if programmatically modified.
- Rare crash when scrolling and the new viewport ended up exactly
on the wrap around.
- Selection handling when viewport wrapped around.
- Restore signal mask in the client process.
- Selection of double-width characters. It is no longer possible to
select half of a double-width character.
- Draw hollow block cursor on top of character.
- Set an initial
TIOCSWINSZ. This ensures clients never read a
0x0 terminal size (dnkl/foot#20).
- Glyphs overflowing into surrounding cells
- Crash when last rendered cursor cell had scrolled off screen and
\E[J3 was executed.
- Assert (debug builds) when an
\e]4 OSC escape was not followed by
- Window title always being set to “foot” on reset.
- Terminfo entry
kb2 (center keypad key); it is now set to
(which is what foot emits) instead of the incorrect value
- Palette re-use in sixel images. Previously, the palette was reset
after each image.
- Do not auto-resize a sixel image for which the client has specified
a size. This fixes an issue where an image would incorrectly
overflow into the cell row beneath.
- Text printed, or other sixel images drawn, on top of a sixel image
no longer erases the entire image, only the part(s) covered by the
new text or image.
- Sixel images being erased when printing text next to them.
- Sixel handling when resizing window.
- Sixel handling when scrollback wraps around.
- Foot now issues much fewer
C0::VT to be processed as
only move the cursor down, but never scroll.
C0::HT (Horizontal Tab, or
\t) no longer clears
C0::LF now always clears
LCF. Previously, it only cleared it
when the cursor was not at the bottom of the scrolling region.
RI now clears
DECAWM now clears
- A multi-column character that does not fit on the current line is
now printed on the next line, instead of only printing half the
- Font size can no longer be reduced to negative values
- User configurable key- and mouse bindings. See
man 5 foot and the
- initial-window-mode option to
footrc, that lets you control
the initial mode for each newly spawned window: windowed,
maximized or fullscreen.
- app-id option to
--app-id command line option,
that sets the app-id property on the Wayland window.
- title option to
--title command line option, that
sets the initial window title.
- Right mouse button extends the current selection.
CSI Ps ; Ps ; Ps t escape sequences for the following parameters:
- Unicode combining characters.
- Spaces no longer removed from zsh font name completions.
- Default key binding for spawn-terminal to ctrl+shift+n.
- Renderer is now much faster with interactive scrolling
- memfd sealing failures are no longer fatal errors.
- Selection to no longer be cleared on resize.
- The current monitor’s subpixel order (RGB/BGR/V-RGB/V-BGR) is
preferred over FontConfig’s
rgba property. Only if the monitor’s
subpixel order is
unknown is FontConfig’s
rgba property used. If
the subpixel order is
none, then grayscale antialiasing is
used. The subpixel order is ignored if antialiasing has been
- The four primary font variants (normal, bold, italic, bold italic)
are now loaded in parallel. This speeds up both the initial startup
time, as well as DPI changes.
- Command line parsing no longer tries to parse arguments following
the command-to-execute. This means one can now write
foot sh -c true instead of
foot -- sh -c true.
- Keyboard/pointer handler workarounds for Sway 1.2.
- Sixel images moved or deleted on window resize.
- Cursor sometimes incorrectly restored on exit from alternate screen.
- ‘Underline’ cursor being invisible on underlined text.
- Restored cursor position in ‘normal’ screen when window was resized
while in ‘alt’ screen.
- Hostname in OSC 7 URI not being validated.
- OSC 4 with multiple
- Alt+Return to emit “ESC \r”.
- Trackpad sloooow scrolling to eventually scroll a line.
- Memory leak in terminal reset.
- Translation of cursor coordinates on resize
- Scaling color specifiers in OSC sequences.
OSC 12 ? to return the cursor color, not the cursor’s text color.
OSC 12;#000000 to configure the cursor to use inverted
ioctl(TIOCSCTTY) on the pts fd in the slave process.
- Forgot to version bump 1.2.2
- Changed icon name in
terminal to utilities-terminal.
XDG_SESSION_ID is now included in the server/daemon default socket
- Window size doubling when moving window between outputs with
different scaling factors (dnkl/foot#3).
- Font being too small on monitors with fractional scaling
- Run-time text resize using ctrl-+, ctrl+- and ctrl+0
- Font size adjusts dynamically to outputs’ DPI
- Reflow text when resizing window
- pad option to
- login-shell option to
--login-shell command line
- Client side decorations (CSDs). This finally makes foot usable on
- Sixel graphics support
- OSC 12 and 112 escape sequences (set/reset text cursor color)
- REP CSI escape sequence
oc to terminfo
- foot-server.desktop file
- Window and cell size reporting escape sequences
--hold command line option
--print-pid=FILE|FD command line option
- Subpixel antialiasing is only enabled when background is opaque
- Meta/alt ESC prefix can now be disabled with
\E[?1036l. In this
mode, the 8:th bit is set and the result is UTF-8 encoded. This can
also be disabled with
\E[1024l (in which case the Alt key is
effectively being ignored).
- terminfo now uses ST instead of BEL as OSC terminator
- Logging to print to stderr, not stdout
- Backspace now emits DEL (^?), and ctrl+backspace emits BS (^H)