Table of Contents
Some bands (Pebble, Amazfit Bip, Mi Band 3, Mi Band 4) support a weather function to show current weather/temperature at your location and forecast for the following days. Gadgetbridge offers support for forwarding weather information to the band/watch without requiring the INTERNET permission for itself and it needs the help of a weather provider on your Android device.
Most commonly, you need to install and configure a weather provider app, two options are:
Tiny Weather Forecast Germany, instructions here.
Weather notification, instructions here.
QuickWeather, instructions here.
If you are using CyanogenMod/LineageOS ROM, see instructions here.
Install and configure "Tiny Weather Forecast Germany"
- It does provide also non-German data, just use city/town names in German or a GPS to determine location, see details below
- Install Tiny Weather Forecast Germany link on F-droid website.
- After installing, you must enable the Gadgetbridge support in the
Tiny Weather Forecast Germanyapp → start the app, Settings → Gadgetbridge support → Enable.
- Set the location as desired and feel free to adjust the other settings. As city names are in German language, best is to use the "Find by location" and either write GPS coordinates or enable GPS permission (even just temporarily), and let the app to determine closest meteo stations.
Install and configure "Weather notification"
- Install Weather notification link on F-droid website.
- After installing, you must enable the Gadgetbridge skin in the "Weather notification" app → start the app, and flip the Gadgetbridge skin switch as shown in the screenshot.
- Also make sure that you have the "Enable notification" switch enabled.
- Set the location as desired and feel free to adjust the other settings (some of them apply only for Pebble watches, and don't affect the Amazefit Bip/MiBands).
- If you use dynamic location (from GPS) make sure Wether Notification app has access to your location.
- You will also need to add an OpenWeatherMap API key.
- Keep Weather Location settings (CM/LOS) in Gadgetbridge empty
- Install Weather Notification app
- Configure Weather Notifications app:
- Create and add you OpenWeatherMap API key
- Set location via GPS or manually
- Enable Gadgetbridge skin
- Enable notifications
- Open up top notification on phone, select Weather Notification
- Refresh the weather
- Check on your device: weather should be shown
Install and configure OpenWeatherProvider
The following is for LineageOS 16 or older. For 18.1, "Weather Notification" still works with a slight change in setup. Before adding your OpenWeatherMap api key, add your location manually. Then add the api key and the weather should update.
To use the weather function in LineageOS/CyanogenMod, simply install the OpenWeatherProvider (already installed on CM/LOS 14 and older) from https://download.lineageos.org/extras and configure the cLock widget.
To configure the cLock widget you must register and get the API key from https://openweathermap.org/.
Set your API key under: Apps->Clock->Widget Settings->Weatherpanel->Weather source->OpenWeatherMap and also set location either from GPS, or as custom location under: Apps->Clock->Widget Settings->Weatherpanel->Use custom location)
Then, finally also set a location (does need to be the same as above) in the Gadgetbridge weather settings. The location set in cLock and Gadgetbridge are independent, we cannot query the location from cLock.
Install and configure QuickWeather
- Install QuickWeather link on F-droid website.
- You will need to add an OpenWeatherMap API key in the Settings, during setup.
- In the settings, enable the Gadgetbridge extension.
The Settings → Language and region settings → Units → Metric/Imperial is used for weather on some bands (Humai, Pebble and some others).
Some devices provide sunrise/sunset information, you can set your Latitude/Longitude (this is (wrongly, for historical reasons) in Gadgetbridge, in the Settings → Pebble settings → Location.