FIRMWARE UPDATES ARE ALWAYS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
The following should be possible for Pebble and Pebble Steel:
- Up or downgrade from 1.x/2.x to any 1.x/2.x firmware
- Upgrade from 1.x/2.x to 3.x via migration firmware
The following should be possible for all models:
- Up or downgrade from 3.x/4.x to any 3.x/4.x firmware
General flashing instructions
There are three types of firmware. Each instance of a firmware comes in its own .pbz file.
Recovery firmware is the only firmware available in a new Pebble, and when a Pebble is given a factory reset. Its sole purpose is to flash another firmware. Never flash a recovery firmware separately!
Migration firmware is a special firmware that embeds recovery firmware. It must be used to switch between major firmware versions. The only use case is upgrading the Pebble and Pebble Steel from 1.x/2.x to 3.x. Ignore migration firmware in all other situations.
Normal firmware contains the regular software that provides all functions. It must be flashed when the Pebble is used for the first time, after a factory reset, or after a migration firmware is flashed. It can be flashed for minor version upgrades (e.g. 4.0 to 4.3). This firmware is erased after a factory reset.
Pair the Pebble first before flashing a firmware. After it is paired and connected, select the firmware's .pbz file in an Android file manager. Open it with App/FW Installer to flash it.
First read the special flashing instructions for different models before continuing to the firmware tables.
Special flashing instructions for Pebble and Pebble Steel
To upgrade a recovery/normal firmware from 1.x/2.x to 3.x it is required to first flash a migration firmware. Do this in two steps:
- Flash a migration firmware and let the Pebble reboot. Ignore any errors.
- Flash normal firmware.
Tested combinations include:
|Model||Migration firmware (step 1)||Normal firmware (step 2)||Tested by|
- Upgrading from 1.x/2.x to 3.x will update the recovery to 3.8.
- It is advised not to downgrade. Downgrading from 3.x to 2.x won't downgrade the recovery firmware and your data will be lost. The correct procedure to update to 3.x again is unknown.
Special flashing instructions for Pebble Time, Pebble Time Steel and Pebble Time Round
It is possible to upgrade from 3.x to 4.x. A migration firmware is not required. Just flash the normal firmware.
Special flashing instructions for Pebble 2
Flashing a firmware on a Pebble 2 can fail at 0%. Do not panic. Try the following process on your Android device:
- Unpair the Pebble 2 in Gadgetbridge.
- Turn Bluetooth off and on
- Pair the Pebble 2 again.
- Flash the firmware again.
Firmware download locations
NOTE: The original files were removed from their Amazon S3 bucket. Working links (not striked) go to a backup. Use at your own risk!
|Pebble (Kickstarter edition, HW revision: V2R2)||3.12.3|
|Pebble (other editions)||3.12.3|
|Pebble Time Steel||4.3||4.4|
|Pebble Time Round||4.3||4.4|
|Pebble 2 (SE and HR)||4.3||4.4|
Use these to migrate earlier Pebble models from 1.x/2.x to 3.x.
|Pebble (Kickstarter edition, HW revision: V2R2)||3.8-mig10|
|Pebble (other editions)||3.8-mig10|
These are listed for historical reasons only. Do not use.
|Pebble Time Steel|
|Pebble Time Round|
|Pebble 2 (SE and HR)|
- Data Backup
- Permissions Explained
- Sports Activities Workouts
- Activity Sessions List
- Activity and Sleep Charts
- Heartrate measurement
- GPS recording of sports activities
- Integrating Sports Tracking apps with Gadgetbridge Sports Activities/Workouts
- Huami devices
- MyKronoz ZeTime
- Casio devices
- Fossil Hybrid HR
- How to Release
- Developer Documentation
- BT Protocol Reverse Engineering
- Support for a new Device
- New Device Tutorial
- Translating Gadgetbridge