Text Notification: Issues with Signal
Before opening an issue please confirm the following:
- I have read the wiki, and I didn't find a solution to my problem / an answer to my question.
- I have searched the issues, and I didn't find a solution to my problem / an answer to my question.
- If you upload an image or other content, please make sure you have read and understood the github policies and terms of services
Your issue are:
- When I recieve message M1 in chat C1, I see M1 on my band. Now I recieve M2 in C2, but see M1 again on my band.
- Now I open Signal and read M1. My band vibrates again and shows message M2.
- The contact is only shown in group chats.
- #767 applies also here.
Your wearable device is:
Mi Band 2
Your android version is:
Your Gadgetbridge version is:
I can confirm signal behaves this way, unfortunately it depends on how the app generates and updates notifications. Fixing this would code tailored to signal (and to the current version). Similarly signal has also a custom ui for replying to messages from the notification (whereas conversations uses the standard android methods).
I guess that since it's an open source messenger and it has a broad usage implementing custom code on our side would make sense.
Can GB see if a notification is a popup notification? In Signals case only popups need to be displayed on the band.
Unfortunately the notification handling is much more complicated that that, and
- multiple android versions (with very different capabilities)
- different apps handling them slightly differently
Do not help much.
Further, the upcoming android O version will introduce a whole new set of features to the notifications...
As said before, I believe it makes sense to do something for signal and the few other problematic apps that are free software, but we will likely never have a 100% perfect behavior with every other app, and things may potentially change/break with every app's update.
I noticed that Reply is not available for Signal notifications on my Pebble. Could this be a "bug" worthy of reporting on their Github, or might it be better to make a feature request on their forum? If so, what sort of request should I make to enable this functionality? Thanks.
Deleting a branch is permanent. It CANNOT be undone. Continue?