Hacktathon idea: External tool for Gitea Issue Tracking from E-Mails (Service Desk)
In August, we discussed ways of structuring incoming emails for Codeberg's abuse reporting, but decided that it's more important to get #424 properly solved.
Still, I want to share an idea that might be interesting to some of you as a weekend-hackathon-project to start and share. So if you are bored: I think this would be awesome for many projects, esp. for not needing an account or otherwise access to a Gitea repo. It could also be used for reporting security issues via mail and tracking this in an internal repo.
- an external and stand-alone service that is provided with a Gitea integration (API token or OAuth) and IMAP credentials
- fetches emails and turns them into issues in a specified repo
- sents replies there back to the reporter, or only on request, e.g. by mentioning a bot
further considerations could be:
- make it easy to integrate with Gitea or host alongside (not too unfamiliar stack)
- make it configurable not only for self-hostiing but as a hosted service, e.g. allowing configurable connections via OAuth or per-repo config
- allow receiving of encrypted emails
I'll just share the initial idea from a chat:
maybe we can turn this into a weekend-hackathon-project: A standalone service, easily deployed, that fetches a mailbox every few minutes and creates Gitea issues for incoming mails. Replies are then sent out via email again, or maybe configurable if the user is mentioned. (Like, allow internal discussion and @blahbot sends a mail back to the user)
(reactions: 👍 x2)
everything special can be added later, core would be creating emails and a way to send replies.
An alternative to the above implementation would be to investigate how the upcoming federation support (#14186) of Gitea (bootstrapped via @dachary and the FedeProxy community, and seeking NGI funding (#16518)) can be used for such features. Moderation is a social activity and extending its support on the Fediverse via W3C ActivityPub / W3C ActivityStreams an ongoing effort with which Gitea may align.
You're talking about moderation? That issue #424. This issue is about creating issues from emails, for creating the behaviour that support / ticket systems do. You can also make use of the idea outlined above to provide user support via tickets etc.
Deleting a branch is permanent. It CANNOT be undone. Continue?