Free as in Freedom: Codeberg.org. Create your repos!

#23 Do we want to provide any other services?

Open
opened 3 months ago by momar · 16 comments
momar commented 3 months ago

That’s obviously a question for the future, but I think it would be extremely awesome if we could offer some of the stuff GitHub and GitLab have at some point:

  • an integrated CI (e.g. based on Drone)
  • static hosting like GitHub Pages, maybe especially optimized for documentation
  • a Kanban board like “Projects” on GitHub, maybe linked to issues like on GitLab
  • a Gist-like service (e.g. based on qbin.io)
  • maybe at some point stuff like a Docker/NPM/Maven/… Registry
  • there’s probably a lot more cool stuff that fits into the domain of a OSS hosting service

What would be the general opinion on that? Do we want this, and if yes then when should we start to think about it?

That's obviously a question for the future, but I think it would be extremely awesome if we could offer some of the stuff GitHub and GitLab have at some point: - an integrated CI (e.g. based on Drone) - static hosting like GitHub Pages, maybe especially optimized for documentation - a Kanban board like "Projects" on GitHub, maybe linked to issues like on GitLab - a Gist-like service (e.g. based on qbin.io) - maybe at some point stuff like a Docker/NPM/Maven/... Registry - there's probably a lot more cool stuff that fits into the domain of a OSS hosting service What would be the general opinion on that? Do we want this, and if yes then when should we start to think about it?
hw commented 3 months ago
Owner

an integrated CI (e.g. based on Drone)

We would need some resource budgeting (fair distribution of available resources between projects, while guaranteeing to never exceed the available budget). Otherwise definitely yes as soon we can afford and solve this

static hosting like GitHub Pages, maybe especially optimized for documentation

High in the priority list, PR welcome

Also per-user/repo blog

a Kanban board like “Projects” on GitHub, maybe linked to issues like on GitLab a Gist-like service (e.g. based on qbin.io)

Don’t know much about those, probably a cultural thing. How many are actively using these?

maybe at some point stuff like a Docker/NPM/Maven/… Registry

Definitely yes. Also per-project apt/dpkg/ppa

PR welcome

there’s probably a lot more cool stuff that fits into the domain of a OSS hosting service

Topics previously discussed (just to add them to the list here):

  • convenient static pages beyond plain html (Hugo, pelican, whatever),
  • per user blog (we are using pelican triggered via webhook for the codeberg blog, having a nice Howto would make this generally available),
  • server monitoring (see separate issue),
  • pastebin-alike thing for quick’n’easy exchange of snippets,
  • per project chat to avoid getting the issue tracker spammed with general questions and requests.

PR for play-with-me prototypes for all of the above highly welcome!

> an integrated CI (e.g. based on Drone) We would need some resource budgeting (fair distribution of available resources between projects, while guaranteeing to never exceed the available budget). Otherwise definitely yes as soon we can afford and solve this > static hosting like GitHub Pages, maybe especially optimized for documentation High in the priority list, PR welcome Also per-user/repo blog > a Kanban board like “Projects” on GitHub, maybe linked to issues like on GitLab a Gist-like service (e.g. based on qbin.io) Don’t know much about those, probably a cultural thing. How many are actively using these? > maybe at some point stuff like a Docker/NPM/Maven/… Registry Definitely yes. Also per-project apt/dpkg/ppa PR welcome > there’s probably a lot more cool stuff that fits into the domain of a OSS hosting service Topics previously discussed (just to add them to the list here): - convenient static pages beyond plain html (Hugo, pelican, whatever), - per user blog (we are using pelican triggered via webhook for the codeberg blog, having a nice Howto would make this generally available), - server monitoring (see separate issue), - pastebin-alike thing for quick’n’easy exchange of snippets, - per project chat to avoid getting the issue tracker spammed with general questions and requests. PR for play-with-me prototypes for all of the above highly welcome!
hw commented 3 months ago
Owner

++

  • documentation rendering from code (could be in dedicated tab like “wiki”)
++ - documentation rendering from code (could be in dedicated tab like "wiki")

Drone provides a hosted version on cloud.drone.io, Gitea may be supporting that.

Drone provides a hosted version on cloud.drone.io, Gitea may be supporting that.

an integrated CI (e.g. based on Drone)

Almost a necessity to support modern best practices, but as stated above, can be costly.

static hosting like GitHub Pages, maybe especially optimized for documentation

I believe they’ve served a good purpose as ‘landing pages’ to promote a project, but either nailing that down to a basic landing page (with templates?) and improving other aspects of the repo page to support quality documentation (probably one of the biggest hindrances to OSS today).

a Kanban board like “Projects” on GitHub, perhaps linked to issues like on GitLab

I would certainly use this. There are many many tools to do otherwise, and perhaps simply opening up an integration point to those tools would suffice, but given the power and clarity they provide across a distributed team, I would suggest investigating. Not only does it provide a powerful organizational tool for OSS teams, it provides transparency into the maintainer’s immediate roadmap. Ideally, we’d be able to leverage the ‘stretch goals’ psychology by allowing maintainers to earmark chunks of work that could be added to the current work stream with help of another dedicated resource; giving clear personal value to the project for anyone looking to contribute. In years past, I’ve arrived at project’s issues log and thought “I’d love to help but I have no clue what’s important, related, or of priority. Can I add something to this team that no one else is covering?”

a Gist-like service (e.g. based on qbin.io)

That’d be nice. I don’t personally use gists all that often as I’d have thought when they were announced, but they can be useful as repos by definition are practically expected to be a single project rather than a collection of useful tools/files. I believe gists would be far more useful if they could be sorted into folders or collections.

maybe at some point stuff like a Docker/NPM/Maven/… Registry

I’ve used and helped maintain custom registries, but I’m not sure what benefit we’d have in doing this ourselves. Those situations were always under corporate and regulatory requirements. Given the small but fiddly configuration required to leverage a custom endpoint, is the only value in doing this to maintain the charter’s independence from for-profit companies? npmjs.com isn’t a non-profit, but they feel far more like a B-Corp than traditional for-profit.

>an integrated CI (e.g. based on Drone) Almost a necessity to support modern best practices, but as stated above, can be costly. >static hosting like GitHub Pages, maybe especially optimized for documentation I believe they’ve served a good purpose as ‘landing pages’ to promote a project, but either nailing that down to a basic landing page (with templates?) and improving other aspects of the repo page to support quality documentation (probably one of the biggest hindrances to OSS today). >a Kanban board like “Projects” on GitHub, perhaps linked to issues like on GitLab I would certainly use this. There are many many tools to do otherwise, and perhaps simply opening up an integration point to those tools would suffice, but given the power and clarity they provide across a distributed team, I would suggest investigating. Not only does it provide a powerful organizational tool for OSS teams, it provides transparency into the maintainer’s immediate roadmap. Ideally, we’d be able to leverage the ‘stretch goals’ psychology by allowing maintainers to earmark chunks of work that could be added to the current work stream with help of another dedicated resource; giving clear personal value to the project for anyone looking to contribute. In years past, I’ve arrived at project’s issues log and thought “I’d love to help but I have no clue what’s important, related, or of priority. Can I add something to this team that no one else is covering?” >a Gist-like service (e.g. based on qbin.io) That’d be nice. I don’t personally use gists all that often as I’d have thought when they were announced, but they can be useful as repos by definition are practically expected to be a single project rather than a collection of useful tools/files. I believe gists would be far more useful if they could be sorted into folders or collections. >maybe at some point stuff like a Docker/NPM/Maven/… Registry I’ve used and helped maintain custom registries, but I’m not sure what benefit we’d have in doing this ourselves. Those situations were always under corporate and regulatory requirements. Given the small but fiddly configuration required to leverage a custom endpoint, is the only value in doing this to maintain the charter’s independence from for-profit companies? npmjs.com isn’t a non-profit, but they feel far more like a B-Corp than traditional for-profit.
hw commented 3 months ago
Owner

Drone provides a hosted version on cloud.drone.io, Gitea may be supporting that.

Do you have a pointer to documentation on this?

> Drone provides a hosted version on cloud.drone.io, Gitea may be supporting that. Do you have a pointer to documentation on this?

@hw https://cloud.drone.io/ ? But afaik that doesn’t support Gitea yet.

@hw https://cloud.drone.io/ ? But afaik that doesn't support Gitea yet.

https://usermirror.com/ just happened upon this. Might prove useful if they’re all OSS.

https://usermirror.com/ just happened upon this. Might prove useful if they're all OSS.
mmf commented 3 months ago

Have there been talks about a paid-service, in which a “premium” member could host private repositories? I am thinking of a simbolic value, something like 1eur/month?

Also, is there any page in which one can see the current financial status of codeberg? Full transparency is always nice.

Have there been talks about a paid-service, in which a "premium" member could host private repositories? I am thinking of a simbolic value, something like 1eur/month? Also, is there any page in which one can see the current financial status of codeberg? Full transparency is always nice.

I would like to see an open source alternative to Thingiverse and co. Of course one’s can use Codeberg for 3D models (like I do with OpenSCAD). Nevertheless, an overlay or something like that would be nice. Adding pictures, files and important data over a mask could open the platform also for people who are not programmers. Some lists or filter specialized for 3D models could given an good overview that separate software and 3d models. I have no clue how difficult it is on the technical point of view, but I think the idea of code and 3D model platforms share some major points. With OpenScad this even melt together.

I would like to see an open source alternative to Thingiverse and co. Of course one's can use Codeberg for 3D models (like I do with OpenSCAD). Nevertheless, an overlay or something like that would be nice. Adding pictures, files and important data over a mask could open the platform also for people who are not programmers. Some lists or filter specialized for 3D models could given an good overview that separate software and 3d models. I have no clue how difficult it is on the technical point of view, but I think the idea of code and 3D model platforms share some major points. With OpenScad this even melt together.

@mmf I thought they were on Open Collective, but apparently not. That may qualify as an ‘outside resource’

@mmf I thought they were on Open Collective, but apparently not. That may qualify as an 'outside resource'

@fastriker that’d be nice. That’d bring a significant visual element to the design of an otherwise text display system, so it’d require some thought to pair the two without becoming a Frankenstein’s monster.

@fastriker that'd be nice. That'd bring a significant visual element to the design of an otherwise text display system, so it'd require some thought to pair the two without becoming a Frankenstein's monster.
hw commented 3 months ago
Owner

@fastriker wrote:

[…] Of course one’s can use Codeberg for 3D models […]

Gogs/Gitea can use external renderers to display for files, commonly used for markups, and configured in the [markup.*] sections in app.ini. Maybe even pictures and even 3D files could be rendered, too?

@fastriker wrote: > [...] Of course one’s can use Codeberg for 3D models [...] Gogs/Gitea can use external renderers to display for files, commonly used for markups, and configured in the ```[markup.*]``` sections in app.ini. Maybe even pictures and even 3D files could be rendered, too?
hw commented 3 months ago
Owner

@mmf wrote:

Have there been talks about a paid-service, in which a “premium” member could host private repositories? I am thinking of a simbolic value, something like 1eur/month?

Also, is there any page in which one can see the current financial status of codeberg? Full transparency is always nice.

Private repos are supported, please check the TermsOfUse for details. Subscribe for notifications there to get informed about updates.

Codeberg e.V. is organised as non-profit legal entity (Please see our bylaws, we aim for the status of “Gemeinnütziger Verein”, that is registered not-for-profit society, according to German law). Just like Letsencrypt.org and Wikipedia.org we rely on donations and contributions from our members.

Considering the launch just a few days ago, our process of reporting has little routine yet; the plan of record is monthly reporting to our members, and yearly public reports. The details and form are, considering our young age, still open to discussion.

@mmf wrote: > Have there been talks about a paid-service, in which a “premium” member could host private repositories? I am thinking of a simbolic value, something like 1eur/month? > > Also, is there any page in which one can see the current financial status of codeberg? Full transparency is always nice. Private repos are supported, please check the TermsOfUse for details. Subscribe for notifications there to get informed about updates. Codeberg e.V. is organised as non-profit legal entity (Please see our bylaws, we aim for the status of "Gemeinnütziger Verein", that is registered not-for-profit society, according to German law). Just like Letsencrypt.org and Wikipedia.org we rely on donations and contributions from our members. Considering the launch just a few days ago, our process of reporting has little routine yet; the plan of record is monthly reporting to our members, and yearly public reports. The details and form are, considering our young age, still open to discussion.

From @hw:

Gogs/Gitea can use external renderers to display for files, commonly used for markups, and configured in the [markup.*] sections in app.ini. Maybe even pictures and even 3D files could be rendered, too?

That sounds like a good base! Maybe it is possible to add features successive to make it more and more interesting as an open alternative. A renderer for OpenSCAD- and/or STL-files would definitely a good start!

From @hw: > Gogs/Gitea can use external renderers to display for files, commonly used for markups, and configured in the [markup.*] sections in app.ini. Maybe even pictures and even 3D files could be rendered, too? That sounds like a good base! Maybe it is possible to add features successive to make it more and more interesting as an open alternative. A renderer for OpenSCAD- and/or STL-files would definitely a good start!
buhtz commented 2 months ago

See also #29 Translation service

See also #29 Translation service
hjacobs commented 2 weeks ago

See also #38 Chat/IM service

See also #38 Chat/IM service
Sign in to join this conversation.
No Milestone
No Assignees
8 Participants
Due Date

No due date set.

Dependencies

This issue currently doesn't have any dependencies.

Loading…
Cancel
Save
There is no content yet.