labwrat’s user-overrides.js for Firefox
this user-overrides.js is a supplement intended to be appended to the ghacksuserjs user.js file (a security and privacy centric user preferences file for Firefox and its derivatives) and used in conjunction with the ‘Firefox Configuration Guide for Privacy Freaks and Performance Buffs’ or The Firefox Privacy Guide For Dummies!
the preferences in the user-overrides.js are my personal preferences which are not edited for public consumption, therefore you will need to adjust as necessary
- read ‘Firefox Configuration Guide for Privacy Freaks and Performance Buffs’ or The Firefox Privacy Guide For Dummies!
- add the appropriate files to your Firefox profile from the ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js repo, including the their user.js, updater.sh (Linux) or updater.bat (Windows), and prefsCleaner.sh (Linux) or prefsCleaner.bat (Windows) - don’t forget to make the .sh scripts executable if you’re running Linux
- download the user-overrides.js file to your Firefox profile directory
- edit the settings in user-overrides.js to suit your personal preferences - instructions are contained in the file
- download and run the ‘ghakcs’ updater.sh/updater.bat file - for Linux, in a terminal run:
- to be notified of updates to the ‘ghacks’ user.js, subscribe to the commits feed
- to be notified of updates to the user-overrides.js in this repository, subscribe to the ‘Firefox’ category at 12bytes.org
- to see the changes between versions, click on the commits link, then click on the latest version to compare it with the previous version